I have created a simple Ubuntu wallpaper based on concept of Ubuntu’s parent Debian’s logo.
Monthly Archives: April 2007
Some times back I had written a small review on Pardus Linux 2007. I had mentioned that I did not use it for long time, but it is worth to watch this innovative and good performing distro. My production system is Ubuntu based. Before upgrading/installing Ubuntu 7.04, I was trying to use Pardus Linux 2007 as my production system as trial basis. It was a good success. The performance, usability, stability are near comparable with Ubuntu. But it needs more integration of application, polish and better English language support. I was running this system for a month and found very satisified.
But personally I like to work with GNOME than KDE (atleast till KDE4 released). I am interested in GNOME based Pardus. Is there any attempt in this direction? I am eagerly waiting….🙂
Great Distro from wonderful Pardus team, thanks and all the best!
I am sure everyone who read this blog regularly knows that I am running Ubuntu on my production system. Ubuntu’s performance, features, and all blah.. blah.. all every one in this tux world knows. So I want to present here what I customize in my shiny new Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn). I took just 3 hours to install and customize the entire desktop.
Additional applications installed:
acroread(.deb), mplayer, realplayer(.bin), vlc, audacity, xmms, vmware, webhttrack, opera(.deb), gcolor2, brasero, tuxpaint, wammu, gmobilemedia(.deb), lbreakout2, barrage, childsplay, circuslinux, gcompris, frozen-bubble, sbackup, ubuntu-restricted-extra, dvdcss, aria2, tamil fonts, chm viewer, gstreamer ffmpeg video codecs, rar, Rainlendar(.tar), ubuntu theme for firefox.
- irda-start.sh (related packages installed) – This is my custom script, which loads all necessary modules for my USB-IrDA dongle to communicate with my mobile.
- Tamil web site specific additional Tamil fonts and Mac Fonts installation.
- Unnecessary services disabling.
- Evolution removed.
- IPV6 disabled.
- /etc/hosts [*updated] with hostname entry for faster application opening
- UbuntuHuman skin for xmms
My default applications:
1. Browser – Firefox (Extensions: Fasterfox, VideoDownloader)
2. EMail – GMail with firefox
3. Feed reader – Google Reader with firefox
4. Task manager – Rainlendar
5. Calendar – Rainlendar
6. CD Burning – Brasero
7. Mobile – Wammu/gmobilemedia
8. PDF – Evince
9. Real audio/movies – Real player 10
10. AudioCD/VCD/DVD – Totem (Failsafe is VLC/MPlayer)
12. MP3 Player – xmms
13. Audio Recording – Audacity
14. Download manager – aria2
15. Download photos from Camera – gtkam
16. Album viewer – gThumb
17. Text, Spreadsheet & Presentation – OpenOffice
18. Notes – Tomboy
19. Home partition backup – sbackup
20. Photo edit – GIMP
21. default application configuration for detecting VCD,DVD – Totem (failsafe is VLC/MPlayer)
22. default application configuration for Camera detection – gtkam
23. default application configuration for CD-Burning – brasero