Life is now quite different for me without a Computer in my home after around 5 years. Some times it is irritating and some times I find good time in helping my loving wife and enjoying the times with my cute 4 months old baby.
I dream for a PC with the following configuration at the minimum, which should not cost above 50K. Do you think impossible for this price? let us see..
Configuration of proposed Dream PC:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 >4200+ (Socket AM2)
- Motherboard ASUS M2NPV-MX or MSI K9NGM2
- 1GB RAM DDR2 – 800 MHz
- Seagate 200GB SATA HDD x 2 (RAID 0)
- Viewsonic Wide screen 19″/20″ LCD monitor
- Sony DVD-RW 4x
- Speakers min. 5.1 Channel with woofers
- Good Microphone
- Wireless Keyboard cum Mouse
- APC 500VA UPS
- Bluetooth dongle
- Infrared dongle
- ATX Cabinet with SMPS
Multiple OS Configuration of proposed Dream PC:
- Ubuntu Linux with GNOME (>= 6.06) – For productive Home PC for everyone @ home (and also to have a feel of Debian)
- Gentoo Linux with Fluxbox/WindowMaker – For serious Linux learning purpose (a lot of compilation/optimization/configurations)
- Fedora Linux with XFCE/Enlightenment – For updating me with the Industry leader Redhat’s way and upcoming beautiful enlightenment desktop
- OpenSuSE with KDE – To know the Novell’s effort in Linux
- Mandriva Linux with KDE – To keep track of what is going on here
- FreeBSD – To have a feel about BSD systems – no serious work, just to weigh the OS
- OpenSolaris based distribution – Want to have live feel of how this evolves
- FreeDOS – To have this OS to have a feel of old DOS and mostly for DOS based games (I don’t know whether this DOS will work on latest hardware configuration)
- Test Partition 1
- Test Partition 2 – These two partitions are meant for testing different Linux/BSD/Solaris distributions.
Applications of proposed Dream PC:
- A basic office suite such as documents/spreadsheets/slides for home
- Base System programming development platform
- Audio/Video such as MP3/Audio-CD/VCD/DVD Playing
- Image and Video editing of my kid Udhaya’s photos and video clips downloaded from Kodak C310 camera
- Internet and email
- My web site and blog maintenance – HTML authoring tools
- Various Linux distribution downloading/installing/learning and keep in pace with them
- Education Software and games for my kid Udhaya
- My mobile Nokia 6610 backup/restore
- Nice strategy and Racing games.
- I want this machine to be my all time favourite…. it should server for every purpose in my day to day life.
It will take some more time for me to spend for my dream PC. Till then to work, I am planning to rebuild my legacy PC. I have a faulty motherboard (Tomato board with AMD K6 Processor, 400MHz) given it for servicing. I have not yet collected from the service guy for more than a year. Since it is reported that it is not repairable, I have to get an alternative board of good old cheap one. I hope to build a simple PC, based on this old configuration. I have most of other peripherals. It seems to be economical to go for a good second hand PC, instead of rebuilding this PC. But since it is my first PC, which I assembled it for more than 3 months, buying a part of components every month – I have a sentiment of retaining, rebuilding and keep it alive for ever.
Configuration of proposed Legacy PC:
- AMD K6 400MHz
- Legacy motherboard with AMD/USB/SDRAM support (to be bought)
- 32MB SDRAM min. (to be bought)
- 10GB IDE HDD
- Yamaha Audio Card
- SiS 1MB Video Card
- Cheap Speaker/Mic
- Legacy 14″ Color CRT Monitor (to be bought)
- Legacy Mouse (yet to be bought, if possible repair the current faulty one)
Multiple OS Configuration of proposed Legacy PC:
- Damn smal Linux (>= 3.0) – Ideal for legacy PCs
- After assembling my dream PC, I can make use of this legacy PC for my hands on work on system programming and OS development kind of nice dirty works.
Hope to update you with my experience on legacy PC @ home by next month!